Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Transfer of Blame


As I sat in front of my TV last night, Lindsay Lohan made the top story in E! News.  The interview progressed more and more, but something seemed very wrong about what she was saying. She stated that after the recent encounters with jail sentences and drug accusations she was now a changed person. Personally, I give her tons of respect if she turns her life around under the pressure of Hollywood. The thing that bothered me though was that she never took responsibility for her actions. In Vanity Fair, Lindsay blames her problems on her father and “the Britney’s and whatever.”  She never confessed that all her problems were her fault because they were her decisions. She constantly transfers the blame to those people she chose to surround herself with. I think if she is strong enough to become one of Hollywood’s biggest stars she should be strong enough to say no to drugs and excessive alcohol.

Another thing is I do not understand how she can make productive changes in her life if she cannot accept what she did was wrong.  Without acknowledging her wrongdoings is like ignoring she ever had a problem and nothing can ever be fixed. This situation where people transfer the blame, I believe, happens way too often in our current society. How can people move forward without accepting their mistakes?? Too many people push the guilt on to others. Some may do this because they are afraid of looking stupid or being embarrassed in front of the people they look up to.  Although, most humans have more respect for those who take on their issues instead of hiding from them.  Making excuses might seem like the easy way to escape criticism, but in the long run it will hurt you. All humans fall victim to doing what Lindsay Lohan has done in smaller ways and in bigger ways, but to actually solve a problem more people including myself should step up to the plate realize the magnitude of our actions.

4 comments:

  1. Piper, I completely agree with your position. If "Linsanity" has any hopes of reviving her career and leading a stable mature life, she needs to take responsibility for her actions. Yes, she had a dysfunctional childhood, which understandably led to a tumultuous and destructive adulthood. The unhealthy environment she was raised in did set her up for failure. However, she is now an adult and needs to self-motivate. In the past, she made the poor choices. Thus, the ultimate blame falls on her shoulders. Hopefully, she will learn from her punishment and rehabilitation and turn all of this newfound media attention into something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic. I see a lot of people refusing to take responsibility for their mistakes. They admit they made the mistake, but then they explain how it was someone's fault that they got the bad grade, got into the wrong group of friends, don't have any self-discipline because their parents didn't set rules for them. You can always find someone else to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what you are saying. Growing up, Lindsay starred in some of my favorite movies. When I was little, I wanted to be just like her in parent trap. Years later, she has taken a turn for the worst. I understand people make mistakes. After all, no one is perfect. But if you make a mistake, correct it, and learn from your mistakes, it is easy for people to forgive and forget. In Lindsay's case, it is never her fault which gets really old really fast. She needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why we pay attention to Lindsay Lohan in the first place? All we have is that she was in a well publicized and now she's a alcoholic druggie. I wonder why we don't pay attention to the people that have good values that can set standards for our lives such as morals and life skills. Why doesn't society place more value on the positive things in life rather than the flaws and problems? If a friend of yours became an alcoholic druggie, after a while, you would probably shun then rather than give them more media coverage, right? Then why don't we do the same to those we consider "celebrities"?

    ReplyDelete