Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stealing Your Way to the Top

  

About a week ago, I received an email from my hall director informing the students of my hall about several acts of theft that have taken recently place. When I first heard about the situation I was completely shocked. I do not understand these people who would take something that is obviously not theirs. I realize it is normal to become envious of those who have items that you desperately desire, but actually taking it to the next level to steal is a bit too much. As time passed the situation seemed to go away until when my suite-mate became the latest victim when someone took her backpack. She turned around just for a minute, and the next thing she knew her bag was gone. That made the situation so much more real to me and made me think that this is a problem that needs to be addressed soon.

Personally, I find this to be a serious issue especially for those students living on campus. Those of us who will make the dorms our home for the next year do not want to have to constantly worry about people breaking in and taking our valuables. While living at home we could leave all of our stuff lying around wherever and know that it will be there when we get back. I know that it is unrealistic to treat a dorm like we would our parent’s home, but it would be nice to know that someone wouldn’t swipe our belongings even if we turn around for a second or if we accidently leave it behind.

Also, it is unfair for people to get away with this. It is a crime, and for no reason is someone entitled to wrongly take from us. Not only is it against the law, but also it is morally wrong. Regardless, stealing isn’t an uncommon thing, and it takes place pretty much everyday all over the world. Because of this, I do not expect stealing to go away. I just think that in certain situations we shouldn’t have to be as cautious as other times especially in places where we are living. I don’t think it is unfair to want a sense of security or want to have a peace of mind that our possessions won’t be stolen, do you?

2 comments:

  1. I have recently noticed that theft has become a serious problem on campus. The first week of school, my friends iPod was stolen out of her room. I didn’t think too much about it, until more of our friends started complaining that they were missing valuable items.

    The other day, I was in the cafeteria and placed my wallet, sunglasses, and cell phone on a table while I went to grab food. I wasn’t even thinking. My items would have been so easy to steal.

    Sometimes I see people’s dorm room doors dead bolted open. Why would someone want to risk having their possessions stolen? I am used to being able to leave my belongings all over my house or my friend’s houses without worrying. Now, I have to be on the alert all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize that stealing was a real issue on campus. I too, like scd, just put my belongings down in the cafeteria while going to get food. I will now have to make sure I do not just put my belongings anywhere.

    We feel safe at SMU so we all feel comfortable to just place our belongings anywhere, but we really should be watching our stuff. Not all of the students have the same luxury items as others, so just be careful about leaving your stuff.

    ReplyDelete